Friday, November 2, 2012

Turning my Work into Worship

When I began my Mary Kay business in December 2010, there were many things that showed it was a great opportunity. Mostly, I only cared about making more money. The more I got involved in growing my business and attending various meeting with different units, the more I learned about the true mission of the Mary Kay business. "To Enrich Women's Lives". With the founding principles being, "God, Family, Career" I felt that this business was truly meant for me and my family. Soon, my goal went from making money to making this a God honoring career. After moving to a new town, it has been a little slow of a start meeting new ladies to teach skin care. This is my fault, I have let other things distract me from focusing on my career.  I need self dicipline. I have been praying for a while for God to show me a way to bring Him glory through my Mary Kay. Of course, I have always given Him the glory when something good happens or prayed for strength during the harder/ slower times, but I have desired more of an opportunity to do work for Him. I have heard a few stories of Sales Directors that have spent time as missionaries in other countries, and while I would loooove to do that someday, it's not in my cards right now. So just last week, it all made sense on what I am supposed to do right now, and it is actually nothing different that what I have been doing. Just kind of another focus. What I do in Mary Kay, in case you are curious, is teach ladies how to properly take off their make-up and put it back on. Simple as that. We are more teachers than sales-ladies. It is fun, it is faith based, it is very rewarding (money and prizes), it has no limit on moving up the career path, and it is easy!

So with all of that being said, I felt a little more clarity from God last week. My business is looked at as a way to build relationships with these ladies that I meet and help. Well I have been doing that, but my goal now is to minister to these ladies through Mary Kay. Am I making sense? As a Christian I am always thinking about sharing the love of God to people I know as well as strangers. But often times, we wonder how to have people put into our paths to share it with. My MK will not only allow me to help a lady I just met find her favorite lipstick, but build a relationship with her and show her God's love. Basically, Ill treat my job as a ministry now more than a job.  I felt this and then read the email devotion that I get and was in awe of how God spoke to me. I posted it below. Thank you Lord for the clarity!

Turn Your Work into Worship

by Rick Warren



“Work hard and cheerfully at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and the Master you are serving is Christ.” (Colossians 3:23-24 NLT)

 


Your boss is not really your boss; your boss is Jesus.

 


There are two things I want you to see in our verses today.



First, it says, “Work hard and cheerfully at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people” (Colossians 3:23 NLT). It’s easier to be enthusiastic about your job when you turn the focus of your work from “I’m doing this for my boss” or “I’m doing this for a paycheck” to “I’m doing this for the Lord.” With that in mind, you can do anything — scrape paint, wash dishes, repair a car — and turn it into worship.



Second, when you turn your work into worship, you start storing up credits in Heaven. Colossians 3:24 says, “Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and the Master you are serving is Christ.” As you work for God, you are making eternal deposits in Heaven.



“So whatever you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV). It doesn’t matter if you’re rearranging papers or signing bills; any job can become an act of worship if you do it enthusiastically for God.


 


Talk About It


 


As you think of your "credits in Heaven," how does an eternal perspective help you keep your focus in your work?



How can an "attitude of worship" be applied in other areas of your life as well?



Rick Warren is the founding pastor of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, Calif., one of America's largest and most influential churches. Rick is author of the New York Times bestseller "The Purpose Driven Life." His book, "The Purpose Driven Church," was named one of the 100 Christian books that changed the 20th century. He is also the founder of Pastors.com, a global Internet community for pastors.



This devotional ©2012 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.





No comments: